HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Monday, June 26, 2017

The Vegetarian--Han Kang

The VegetarianThe Vegetarian by Han Kang
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had very high hopes for this one, but ultimately this collection of three linked short stories (this is not a novel) left me rather meh. Normally I love off the wall literature that perks up my brain cells, but sometimes I'm left wondering if books like this are like rooting around in the author's head without rhyme, reason, or even good cause. This collection does explore some interesting characters, but due to the brief length of each story, none are explored too deeply. My interest was piqued with regards to thoughts about one's personal ownership of their physical body, and ultimately how we essentially are not really given free reign to neglect our bodies to the point of eventual death without family and medical attempted interventions--so we have limited ownership I suppose. Ownership within reason maybe? And of course this would be a prime opportunity for an argumentative book club discussion. But for me, always in search of that poignant tale that grabs me not only intellectually but also emotionally, The Vegetarian fell short of delivering the whole experience.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment