HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Monday, April 3, 2017

Affective Needs is a 2017 RITA Finalist!!


Make sure you scroll down to see my celebration sale!

Nothing prepared me to receive the early morning call on March 21st.

I had just dropped my kids off at school, popped into my nearest Starbucks to pick up my grande coffee, and was heading home to get back to work on the last book in my Ascendant series, Descendant (summer 2017!). 

I knew the RITA and Golden Heart calls were going to be made by members of the RWA (Romance Writers of America) board that morning, but to be completely honest, I didn't really expect that my little self-published young adult novel stood a chance.

So I'm driving, drinking coffee, listening to my 80's Hits Pandora station, trying to think about what I'll tackle in the new book when I get home...

My phone rings. 

With that first shrill bell, my heart went from mildly caffeinated to I'M HIKING A MOUNTAIN in the three beats it took me to answer the phone. "Hello?" 

"Hello, is this Rebecca Taylor?"

In case you're wondering, you really can process a thousand different scenarios beyond the one you really, really want in the space it takes you to whisper, "Yes?" I'm thinking it's probably:
  • telemarketers
  • overdue library book notification
  • headhunters (it's always school psychologist headhunters!!)
  • my kids' school calling to say someone has forgotten their ID...again!
But no! Not this time! She was calling to tell me my YA contemporary novel,Affective Needs, was a finalist for the 2017 RWA RITA award.

I burst into tears. 

And then quickly pulled my car to the side of the road so I could cry, and blubber, and not kill myself or anyone else while fireworks of joy exploded inside my head. 

Winners will be announced at the RWA national convention on July 27th in Orlando, FL. If you're a writer attending this event, I'm also one of the speakers/presenters and will be teaching a workshop. Stop me and say hello! 

Get your copy of Affective Needs from your favorite retailer today!
Hurry, sale ends 4/10/17! 


Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Apple iBooks
Kobo

No comments:

Post a Comment