HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Friday, April 8, 2016

Engagement: A-Z Challenge


My themes for this year’s A-Z challenge are writing, the writer’s life, and living in the creative flow.

One of the risks of self-publishing is that you don’t, in the beginning, often have a team of people holding a net underneath your work. Underneath your name.

I rely, probably more than traditionally published writers, on feedback from my readers. This active and regular engagement with my readers helps me grow as a writer.

Recently I received a review of Midheaven from one of my readers that loved Ascendant. It was thoughtful and brought up some issues that I will continue to tackle in my writing:

(Reposted from Amazon with permission from the reviewer)

I've enjoyed reading both books in this series & I look forward to finishing the trilogy when the final book comes out in 2017. Rebecca Taylor truly has a refreshing gift for creative writing. I look forward to reading more of her work as she further develops her writing career.

This was one series that had me reading hours beyond bedtime! From page one of Ascendant, I was transported into the story & connected easily with the characters. By the final page, I couldn't wait to continue the story so I downloaded Midheaven at midnight & kept reading!

Most of the time the plot was easy to follow. However, there were a few gaps in this book that weren't a smooth transition from one paragraph to the next. I did find myself rereading those parts to see if I had missed something. This was only a minor distraction & I moved past it to be drawn back into the story.

Other minor concerns that I had with both books were a few misspelled, misused, or repeated words that weren't caught before publication. For this reason, my keen eye for editing just couldn't give this book 5 stars.

This particular reviewer and I connected on Twitter and I thanked her. There are tons of books out in the world, she certainly didn’t have to take the time to read mine. Furthermore, I appreciate her, as a keen reader, sharing out what she feels are the works strengths and where I can improve my production quality.

There are many moving parts in the self-publishing game. You don’t get developmental and copy editors keeping you safe until you can afford to contract those services yourself. I love having an authentic engagement with my readers and I appreciate when they are invested in my work enough to provide valuable critique.

No comments:

Post a Comment