HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Monday, January 18, 2016

Do What You Love With Who You Love (as much as possible)

Me and Rod, Hawaii 1997. Our second trip together. First was Las Vegas four months earlier.
I was on the computer last night, finalizing plans for our three week trip to Europe this summer, when a moment of personal clarity washed over me.

THIS is what I love to do.

And by THIS I mean TRAVELING. Which, when I look back retrospectively, shouldn't be at all surprising given my childhood (growing up in a military and thus mobile family), the years I spent bouncing from place to place in my late teens and early twenties, the years I spent working as both a domestic and international flight attendant for United Airlines, and all the trips Rod and I have taken both before and since we had kids--seeing the world has always been a huge part of my life and has provided tons of inspiration, and experiences, for my writing.
 
This last weekend, Rod and I found ourselves in a bizarre and unfamiliar situation--both our children were away, having fun with other people, at the exact same time and for the entire day.

Still in sleepwear, sipping coffee, standing in a silent house, our confused eyes met, "Well what the hell do we do now?" I asked.

Within half an hour we were in downtown Denver at the Union Train Station, sipping Irish coffees and waiting for our breakfast table at Snooze. It felt like a glimpse into our very near future, and it definitely got us talking.

In five years, we realized, many of our days would look much like this one.

And as many parents feel, I'm sure, the prospect was both sad and exhilarating. We imagined the transition out of daily parenthood might be as painful as the transition into it--but long before we had kids, Rod and I had each other--and together we loved to travel.

Short trips, long trips, near trips, far trips--we love to see and experience the world. It's a value we both hold dear and are hopefully instilling in our children as we drag them from planes, to trains, and cars that drive on the opposite side of the road, all the while teaching them to pack light and the enormous convenience of getting it all in one carry-on suitcase.

So this weekend, as we sat, and ate, and ordered Bloody Marys, we conspired about our future and what that might look like when it was again just us. It looked mobile, it looked exciting, it looked like it happened all over the world. But probably most important, it looked like it happened between two people who had lived, loved, and supported each other for 25 years--making many more memories doing what they love best.   

No comments:

Post a Comment