HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Saturday, October 19, 2013

NaNo or NoNo

NaNoWriMo
 
I am seriously considering participating in NaNoWriMo next month, even though the thought of it sort of leaves me quaking in my writerly boots. My wonderful office buddy has created a NaNo group for the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers (an organization to which I proudly belong) and my hand is hovering over the "commit" button.

But I hesitate.

Truth: You scare the crap out of me NaNo.

For me, 50,000 words in one month is a huge output. I work full time, I have young kids, and I like for everyone in my house to have clean underwear everyday. I realize NaNo is not the same as a contracted deadline...but it is a promise to yourself. While it's not at all the same as damaging your writing career by missing a contracted deadline; I still think it would be just as disappointing, to yourself, to not hit that goal.

I will keep you posted as to my decision--which has to be made soon!

In preparation, and just in case, I have plotted out my entire next book. So at the very least I have built a map to guide me through NaNo should I decide to.

Anyone else going to jump in the pool this year?

3 comments:

  1. DO IT! I've done NaNo every year from 2008 till now (I made it ever year but one), and it's always a huge highlight of my year. Difficult, yes. Exhausting, yes, But so very worth it, regardless of whether or not I make the 50k mark—it's always a fantastic learning experience. :) Even if you don't hit the goal, the important thing to remember is that you did what you could and you will get something out of it.

    I hope you do it & love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know many writer friends who absolutely love NaNo and find it inspiring even if they don't achieve the full goal. It gets them writing and gets a project started with lots of support to boot. I'm doing a nonfiction version of it with smaller projects. I hope you have fun if you do participate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'd like something similar to NaNo but with a bit more room for life, there's a group of us doing HolNoWriMo: Holiday Novel Writing Months. We're doing a first draft over November AND December. :) Because yeah... full time job + small kids + housework = I cannot NaNo.

    ReplyDelete