HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Monday, October 3, 2011

Book Users


I'm always caught off guard when I find a version of my childhood self tucked away in the schools I work in. She's quiet, a good student (well, she's still a good student in elementary school anyway) and she reads a lot. A LOT. She reads so much that if reading weren't so pushed by adults upon kids who don't read even a fraction as much as she does, if books were not so socially acceptable, someone might worry over the way she uses books. Uses books to hide and run. She uses books to escape.
 
(Deleted a ton of words here about my own childhood)

Once I learned to read with the fluency and comprehension skills necessary to float away and get truly good and lost in a book, I was gone. Books have always been my getaway car. Throughout my life there has been no other activity I have found that allows me to exit completely from this world, this life, this bad relationship, this crappy job, this overwhelming financial pit. Books have always been my eject button.

They are, quite simply, my drug of choice. 

Do you read? Too much? 

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this very thing yesterday, as I was sick and worn out and discouraged, and read through four books in one day, something I haven't done in years. Too much? Maybe, but I have to say I faced the world much easier today than I have in a long time, thanks to my brief escape yesterday, when I needed it most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E. Yes, that's one thing about getting drunk on a stack of books--you might actually feel better as opposed to worse the next morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had my attention with your picture. LOL!
    BTW, your "eject button" description is dead on. Reading is my escape. That's why I prefer fiction. I like being swept away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. E.R. *sigh* I miss Sawyer soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sawyer! *sigh*

    I wish I read too much. I currently have three books on the go which, for the life of me, I can't understand why. I only have one pair of eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was younger you couldn’t force me to read… I was 33 before I found my love for reading: before then I had only read two books—I’m 36 now and finish 40 to 50 books a year without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete