HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What's Your Story?

 


I want to hear your story. Where are you? What are you doing? What are you working on and how much do you:

a. love it

b. hate it

c. feel certain it's the Next Big Thing

d. wonder why you started writing in the first place

You might notice with the above options I've given you no middle ground, no gray. Well, is it just me or do you too have a love hate relationship with your piece? Like some days you're just plowing through a field of weeds, no dream in sight but then, right behind a particularly nasty bramble, it's there. Your desert flower.

Hot and cold. Despair and joy. That roller coaster that makes you sick, sick, sick but you don't have the ability to get off.

Are you on submission? Do you have a query out to that agent you can't stop stalking? Do you have 50 queries out? Are you finishing your first MS? Your eighth? Where are you? How are you dealing? Do you ever feel alone? Connected to more people than your little introverted self can manage?

I want to know--I need to know. Let's commiserate, wallow, roll around in the mud. Let's shout from the roof tops, sing Beethoven's 9th, dance with joy.

Where are you?

7 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of three million things. Well, maybe not quite that much, but it feels like it. ;) Aside from non-writing stuff--I moved between states this summer, and getting ready to start up the next homeschool year--I'm swamped with various writing projects at this moment. I have:

    --One book I just self-published.

    --One book that my publisher released last year and which I've just been informed is being retypsetted, having the cover changed, and republished very soon.

    --The sequel to the previous book, which my publisher says should be out within a few weeks of the first book's re-release.

    --Just finished (about fifteen minutes ago) the most recent draft of another novel. (The one that you read the first chapter of a few months ago.) Sent it to my next round of beta readers.

    --Preparing to write the only sequel to the aforementioned book that I just finished editing.

    My state of mind and what I feel about each of these books is very different, so my brain's kind of a mish-mash of "I'm so happy with this book! I'm so glad it's out!" and "What are these words that I have written!?"

    Where are YOU right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you're an inspiration! Maybe that's all I need...more on my plate. That way I can spread my worry and anxiety around a little.

    Where am I?--the waiting place. But I've bought a ticket, gonna catch a bus or hop a plane. Hell, I might even just walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a couple of full manuscripts out and a few queries. I'm not sending more queries out until I go to a conference in September, where I signed up for an agent critique session. So, I guess I'm in limbo-land and trying to choose which idea to develop next :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, you're in CO too right? Are you going to RMFW?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am:

    Working on the first draft of a 1920s fantasy adventure, and in the full throes of loving it, especially since the ending just fell together in the outline (yeah, I outline as I go, only keeping a few chapters ahead so I have a general idea of what I'm doing).

    Working on a sort of first draft of a story that started life as a different story, depressed me every time I read it, and got subsequently ripped to shreds, so that I only kept the basic premise but changed everything else, including the character.

    Thinking about revising a children's story I wrote a couple of years ago and only sent out to a few publishers before letting it drift. Looking at it again recently I realized it needs some more meat, and it will actually make a pretty charming MG novel!

    And, you know, moving. And painting the new place. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m in the middle of revision hell. I wish I could move on, but the little thing need to be addressed before I can do so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in that stage of not being able to talk about where I'm at! I can say I'm working on something I've wanted to write for a long time, and it's such a joy and relief to be able to start on it!

    ReplyDelete