HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Monday, July 18, 2011

Update on Around the Word in 80 Days



Yes, yes, I've been keeping up. I realize I've not been 'checking in' however. We will try to remedy this. My goal was for a modest 500 words a day and that has been happening. So it's been 9 (work) days since I committed to the challenge and by my count I've added roughly 6600 words (which is more than the 4500 word goal mark, so yay.)

But I haven't felt like blogging.

Also, I haven't felt much like being on Twitter either. Which reminds me, I also recently unfollowed every single agent and editor that use to pop up in my Twitter feed (don't worry, I'm sure it didn't register on their radar) and I've been kind of avoiding all blog posts related to publishing.

The reason? you may ask. Well it's really very simple.

I was spending a ridiculous, some might even say obsessive, amount of time hanging on every word that industry professionals were putting forth. I was reading every 140 character bite and every single blog post that they produced and in turn, getting little writing done myself.

Turns out I'm not one of those people who can write and blog and tweet and stay completely abreast of every little thing at the same time. So we are engaged in behavior modification. ENOUGH with the Twitter I said (well mostly anyway).

I'm just writing. For me.

What have you been doing?

9 comments:

  1. This is EXACTLY how I've been feeling lately. *sigh* I may have to stop reading blogs and twitter for a while. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I noticed when I focused on my writing, I started ignoring the social media outlets. When it comes down, I need to do what works best for me. That might mean I'm not blogging and reading everything all the time. I feel a bit guilty for this, but my writing is most important to me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found the same thing - I get so overwhelmed by reading everyone else's opinions that I forget to write my own thing. And this summer, we've impromptu decided to move, so between packing and house-hunting I haven't had much time for even my own writing, much less anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a wise decision. I can only do a little of it or it overwhelms what little time I have to spend on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing for me as well.

    I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely understand what you mean about the distractions. I'm knee deep in a WIP and emails and tweets and blogging can get in the way. Unplugging during writing time is important. Good luck with the new project. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all a matter of deciding whether you want to absorb content or produce content. I used to just absorb. Now I want to be a producer of content more than anything. Then I can interact with the people who read MY stuff. Glad you decided to be a producer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sending you an invite from Google+. Kidding. I'll miss you on Twitter but understand. I'm glad you are making such great progress on your WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kirsten...Don't worry, I'm still gonna twitterstalk you. Just not as often :)

    ReplyDelete