HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Around of Words in 80 Days


I was supposed to officially post this yesterday but...

I am going to be participating in round 3 of Around of Words in 80 Days! Now see, I like this challenge because you set your own goals and, if your life explodes in your face, you can CHANGE your goals.

This I can do.

So, here are my goals for the next 80 days.

  • 500 words per day 
That's it. Here's a funny thing about me. When I set a goal that is completely manageable, one I know I can easily make each day--I do. It's like I tell myself, "All you have to do, is this tiny little bit. It is just this scene, maybe the lead into the next--it's practically nothing." For me, it keeps me from feeling utterly overwhelmed with trying to juggle an entire book (or series) in my tiny little brain. Because this way, I'm not sitting here today trying to write 400 pages, I'm only writing two. The amazing thing is how quickly those just 2 pages add up when you're doing them everyday.

They're drops in a bucket.

And another thing, I often surpass my easy goal (although extra pages do not count against tomorrow's goal...sorry Becky.) But on those days when I only write 500, I still feel like a total success.

Mind games, I know. Did I mention my day job is in psychology?

For me, when a goal is too big, and I don't hit it, even if it just one day, it can be totally demoralizing. I'm suddenly BEHIND and slip into a "I have to catch up" mentality. Frequently, I don't catch up and after only a few days, my target has compounded so much interest and is so big, there is simply no way I'm ever going to get there.

This is when the writing might stop all together.

So, I'm all about little goals. They tend to add up pretty fast for me.

Oh, I also wanted to thank Kate Jarvik Birch for blogging and tweeting about the challenge--I found out about it through her. If you haven't checked out her blog My Next Life, do so right away. She's represented by Kerry Sparks at Levine Greenberg and is super nice. Thanks Kate!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!
    I completely agree about the drops in a bucket all adding up to something big. And I know that I'm the same way about giving myself a goal that's too huge. I beat myself up if I don't finish and then I'm worse off than I was to begin with.
    Here's to keeping each other motivated and to sticking to those goals. CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to RoW80! I envy your manageable goal responsibility. I think I function opposite. If I don't make it a challenge, then I slack off lol. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this approach. It's actually what my critique group has as its baseline goal. And editing counts toward that goal of 500 words per hour, which has been a saving grace for me since that's about all I've been doing for months now is editing. In my most recent edit, which included rewriting one plot line, I remembered what it was like to actually CREATE something again. Makes me want to finish this dang WIP and move on to a new project.

    Great post, Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your goals!!! That is so awesome.:) I'm doing a 50k with my current WIP and my goal is to be done with the first draft by August. I'm at 40k! WOOT! :D
    Goals really help me keep on track. It's nice to have them, even if they make you crazy... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel exactly the same way! That's why I've kept the same goal for all three rounds: write everyday. It's an attainable goal and I find that if I keep it simple, I can achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little and often is the way to go. I try to write something every day, even if it's just a sentence :-) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great challenge! I may try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Failing to meet my writing goals and playing catch-up have put me in a blockage. It's frustrating. Small goals, "drops in the bucket", are a great way to get myself back on track. I'm not sure if I'll participate in the challenge, but I think your post might help me get myself back on track. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post on goals. I like the 500 words a day, that's definitely manageable.

    ReplyDelete