HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Monday, April 18, 2011

Histrionics

I was reading a series of blog posts today by someone who is hunting big game publishing and not having any success.

They seem pretty upset.

I feel for this person--sort of.

But having read six or seven posts, I can't help but wonder if the seemingly unbridled histrionics have something to do with all the bad luck.

Here's the thing, unless you happen to be Ernest Hemingway or Virginia Woolf, people working on the business end of publishing are not likely dying to work with someone who may/ or may not, be dealing with some serious emotional instability. 

So I'll share a belief that I hold dearly and one that I always check myself on before hitting "PUBLISH NOW"

Some things belong in your journal. Some things belong with your spouse/significant other. And some things belong in your therapist's office (that's why they make the big bucks.)

Many, many, many things do not belong on your blog.

It's kind of like walking into a job interview and spending the whole time complaining about how awful your last job was. Actually, it's worse than that because people can search though your archives and judge you for rants you made two years ago.

Just a thought.

7 comments:

  1. I'm totally agree with you. I also have a hard time with blogs that have too many 'downer' posts where something is always going wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts, Becky. When an employer can find out all kinds of things about a prospective employee by what they write on the web, someone's not thinking clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100%. I'm not sure if we are thinking of the same blog but some people out there need to think before they publish.

    Once it is in the public domain, it isn't ever going back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. I'm sure it's tempting but if we want to be professional then we have to act it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things can go viral on the internet so quickly! I think sometimes it comes to "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."


    P.S. I'm passing on a blog award to you. You can find it on my blog if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so true!!! I don't understand what people are thinking when they decide to publish stuff that is really journal-worthy on a blog or facebook and then complain/marvel that they can't find a job or have had the hardest time landing an agent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great point! There will always be a digital footprint to everything we say. It's just the nature of the gluttonous beast that is our Internet-crazed society. And even the most incidental of comments can ignite a smattering of unwanted consequences.

    Personally, I never sign my name to something if it reflects really poorly on me. It's just not a good practice.

    And nice blog!

    ReplyDelete