HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Boring

B is for the worst word in writing--Boring. Is your writing boring? Are parts of it? A scene maybe? Certainly I know I've gone through my own work and come across sections where I am dieing to put my own book down.

Eww, what was I thinking? NOTHING is happening throughout the entire scene!

I am thinking of Boring right now because of a book I'm reading right now. I won't say which and no it is not displayed in that rolling widget to your left. I have been trying to slog through the climax--THE CLIMAX PEOPLE--for the last four nights.

It's boring. I don't care. I actually kind of hope that the main character gets killed because that might be the only thing that could raise my emotional level to any degree.

This book is selling like ice in summer.

There is a major motion picture coming.

I am forcing myself to finish just so I can put it away and move on.

Watch out for the boring in your own writing--especially the climax!

8 comments:

  1. That's why betas and cps and taking a break from your work is so important. And that's why this business is so subjective! And I'm waiting for some books to arrive from the amazon gift card! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious isn't it? I have a favorite author who has been quite prolific. When I shared the first book in a series with a coworker (a book I felt compelled to seek out after reading a Hugo winning short story that became the book) she was just so so about it. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Laura. Getting a group of people to critique your work first is important--but then some people will love one approach and some people will hate it. I think today, too, people expect the action and entertainment in books to be much more immediate. It makes me worry that certain things I write in certain books are going to make people be like "whatever, this is boring, where's the action?" I guess, though, if people care about the characters enough, then things that might seem mundane aren't necessarily boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what is kind of funny about this particular book is that it is, in fact, chocked full of action. This problem is that I don't care about the main character at all. So I think this is a case of all action, but very little real emotion.

    Now that I'm at the climax, and one thing after another is happening to the MC, I'm actually hoping he gets the ax (although I know he won't :) because I don't care about him at all.

    For me, I have to care first before the darts start flying. Otherwise I'm like "Eehh, go ahead and kill'm."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this B post - what an awesome word! I cracked up when I got to the part you said you actually hope he gets killed - too good. :)

    And I'm totally with you on boring. I started a book recently that I'm having so much trouble continuing. I think I've managed to get through two chapters in about two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate forcing myself to finish a book. If I get that feeling, I usually don't give that author another chance. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that my book isn't boring! Not after all the time spent on it. O.o

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet
    I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.
    Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the
    net will be a lot more useful than ever before.

    My blog post; quick and easy loans

    ReplyDelete