HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Friday, January 21, 2011

Waiting is Like...Hard


I've had a few emails from kind, interested people regarding the current state of affairs with The Book. (No, not That book...my book.) So here is my post about waiting, yes thank you for asking, but I am just waiting.

And, as I glance at my calendar and give myself (yet another) reality check, I see that it has now been a measly 2 weeks since the submission process started. That is practically prenatal in the publishing world.

I could email Wonderful Agent and bug her, she's is really nice and probably wouldn't mind...but I won't. I won't because I know if there were any news, she would have let me know.

But, I recently was scouring the web for anything I could find came across these archived posts from Nathan Bransford and The Rejecter. It's great information and exactly what I needed to read right now. It gives more insight into what happens after the initial miracle (actually finding an agent) happens and your ms begins circulating in lands foreign to the previously unpublished.

Super, fantastic information. Of course neither of these sources mention anything about relieving psychological pressure while waiting. You just have to wait.

But then I'm reminded of this:

The Waiting Place…
…for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a
Yes or a No or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.
Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for
Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.
NO!That’s not for you!
Somehow you’ll escape all that waiting and staying.
You’ll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

And I realize that I might be standing on the edge of the waiting place. I might be about to get stuck in the waiting place. This is a very scary thought because I've been reading the blog of a perfectly nice, capable writer who has been swimming around in the waiting place for over a year and it doesn't sound like a happy place to me. I'm not sure, but I think the trick probably lies in not waiting. No, I'm not about to call up Wonderful Agent and tell her, "I'm done with this...I'm not waiting now, not ever!" I think it may only take a subtle shift in thinking. For example, when I get those well intentioned inquiries, "Any word yet?" I'll need to pish posh my hand and reply, "That! Why I haven't thought of that all day. Wonderful Agent has that under control. No, what I'm doing is getting super excited about where the next book is heading!"

Admittedly--I'll need to practice. 

I need to shift my thoughts. Meaning, I need to pretty much forget about the fact that other people are (or are not) doing things with my book right now. Right now, all I'm doing is what I have been doing--writing another book.

5 comments:

  1. Eh, I say forget the waiting and go to market. Buy a bunch of fun ingredients. Go home and play in the kitchen until you've cooked and baked it all. Then repeat as needed.

    Eat well and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you are exactly right Whisk. I think the kids and I should whip up something especially yummy this weekend. Maybe I'll even take a photo and post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE to see a photo and hear of your playing about in the kitchen. Have you ever made tie-dyed cupcakes?

    Even if you want to use boxed cake mix. Just get white cake, make and part into four bowls. Dye each bowl a different color.

    Line or spray cupcake tins and add a bit of each color into each cupcake holder. Bake until toothpick comes out clean.

    When these babies are done, they don't even need icing because the fun is in opening each little cake to see the tie-dye fun.

    I wish you a Delicious Day, Becky. And whatever fun you have in the kitchen this weekend, I look forward to reading about it.

    Eat well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hands over chocolate*

    It's the cure for all that ails us (whichever you prefer--milk, white, dark).

    I think the only way I'd survive the waiting game would be to keep working. Time to move on to another project and see what else I can learn about this crazy craft.

    Oh, and of course enjoy your delightful family.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you thought to post more! I'm thinking it's a lot more than twice. So let's say I do get a book deal, what will my sales be? What will reviewers say...will I even get reviews? Let's not even talk about the stars at Amazon, and B&N, and Books a Millions and bloggers...

    I'm going to bed.

    ReplyDelete