HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thankful

Well, it is official--Ascendant is out on submission. Emma sent me the official email this morning and, at this very moment, my work is sitting, waiting at the next step--editors' inbox.

Dreaming of actually ever getting to this point, I imagined I would experience many, many emotions: crazy excitement, pride, worry, fear. And I suppose I do feel, on some level, all of these things. But to be honest, the number one emotion coursing through me has actually been sort of surprising.

Mostly, I'm feeling pretty quiet. Maybe even...calm?

I assure you this sense of quiet calm does not come from any kind of knowing, as in, "Of course my book will be picked up by an amazing editor who loves it as much as I do." I wish!

I think, if I'm being honest, it comes more from a place of thankfulness.

I wrote a book I'm proud of--and finished it. I'm thankful for that.
I found an agent who, apparently, likes my book an awful lot too. I'm thankful for her (and all her hard work with no guarantee that she will, eventually, be compensated).
My book is in the arena, competing for space amongst other books sitting in editors' inbox. I'm thankful for that too.

I am grateful that I have a chance to pursue something I really want to do.

P.S. did you know that when you take a photo of yourself in PhotoBooth you have to reverse the writing--like looking in a mirror?

10 comments:

  1. Wishing you tons of luck and a speedy and fruitful contract.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Becky. All those things you've said are so very true (I imagine, not having experienced any but the writing part). But as Anne Shirley was fond of saying, "I have an imagination" so I can imagine what a rush it must be to have someone in the business who says your work, your creative endeavor, the hours of your life that you sacrificed in its creation is worthy of publication.

    Good luck with that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Whisk and Donna! One of my resolutions this year is to be more mindful of the gifts I am already blessed with, not always looking towards what has not yet happened. I think it is important to have goals and plans for reaching those goals. But I also need appreciate the process.

    I am surrounded by a bed of roses and I want to enjoy them, not peer over their tops to the next fence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read your success story on QT and thought I'd stop in to say congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congratulations!! Crossing everything for a quick and awesomely great sale!

    I did not know that about the photo booth...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Lola and Kimberly...now the trick is to pretend the rest of life is just moving along as normal.

    (Excuse me while I check my email)

    ReplyDelete