HOME
BOOKSABOUTCONTACTFAQBLOG

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Switching Gears


So, apparently, my worry in my last post regarding the revisions I sent off to Wonderful Agent was for nothing. I did, in fact, write them in English and she said they were good...now we're into round 2.

As I've lurked and read about many of you writers/bloggers out there, I realize that it's a pretty mixed bag with regards to those who have a job other than writing and those who stay home and write full time (and just so you know, being a stay at home mother or father is another job in my book.) It has me wondering what that experience is like for you, balancing work and writing or having the freedom to write all day (whichever side of the fence you live on.)

Personally, I find it incredibly difficult to write and work (I'm a school psychologist) at the same time. My job requires me to be in the moment, fully present, and quite analytical...everything I'm not when I'm writing. When I'm writing, it's like reading for me--my mind launches into outer space.  I still write when we're in school, but I find it mentally difficult to switch back and forth. It's almost as if I can feel myself physically leaping the divide between my right and left brain. I get most of my writing done over breaks (i.e., summer, Christmas, Spring Break.)

But I remember that, before I went back to work outside the home, sometimes the more time I had to write, the more time I wasted not writing. For me, I think having less time to do this thing I love sort of forces me to do it as often as I can.

But don't get me wrong...I still fantasize about doing this full time.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Again Becky: It's hard in the job you have to switch gears. Glad you get some good work done when you're on holiday.

    I set my writing schedule around my job. My days working at the shop change, weekly but the amount of writing I do remains about the same, each week.

    Today I'm off from both jobs and having a good time of it. Got dressed, even. And Hubby is on his way home for lunch.

    Nice post. Great blog. Catch you next time.
    -Ivy or Whisk, whichever you fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ivy (but I do like Whisk...) That's what I want to work towards, no matter how much or little, "the amount of writing I do remains the same each week."

    I feel pretty sporadic right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, very timely post for both of us. My book is out on submission, and as I wait, my first child arrived almost three weeks ago. So I am on leave for the month, and while I'd normally be going strong writing, I am on baby duty (literally).

    To answer your query, I find it hard to do both the day job and write at the same time. I use breaks and weekends, along with three-day or four-day weekends to write my booty off. If I could, however, ever write full time, I'd treat each book like I was on break and write until finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael. Yes, I'm looking forward to reading how your submission process ends. Hopefully it will prove all those agents right that were fighting over you just a few short weeks ago. Heck, even if your search for a publisher is only half as fantastic as your agent ride, you'll still be made in the shade.

    Ah, babies. I remember those early days all too well. So much love, so much back breaking work, so little sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna,
    I hear you. The more time I have, the more time I waste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whichever you like is fine with me. Some call me Ivy, others call me Whisk. And I call myself both, so there you go.

    So whatcha gonna work on during the break? Something fun, I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whisk,
    #1 Clean my house
    #2 Relax
    #3 Write
    #4 Repeat as often as possible before January 3rd 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a great time. Sounds like an excellent break. Though I like to write before I clean. That way the brain work is done first, and then I can just blast music and get to the cleaning, after.

    ReplyDelete